Pages

2.23.2013

Pinnacles (2-3 Feb 2013)

Sparknotes: hiking Balconies, Bear Gulch, and North Chalone Peak at Pinnacles NP

After another too-long work trip to China, I was ready to get outdoors for a weekend. We packed the car full of climbing gear and cooking gear (namely our recently acquired dutch oven). I was decidedly not excited for climbing; on my last trips to Pinnacles, I climbed okay but felt uneasy the whole time. I had only been to crags near the parking lot, along Bear Gulch Trail or on the Rim Trail. The reputation for loose rock and substandard protection. My jet-lagged (and nervous) self wasn't about to get psyched for climbing on Saturday, so instead we took the guidebook for a walk to the Balconies caves and ogled Machete Ridge, followed by an excellent stew courtesy of Kat.

Sunday, I packed the backpack full of gear and we headed up to the Reservoir to maybe climb or maybe hike. The morning was beautiful and trails empty (thanks to the Superbowl) so we continued hiking to North Chalone Peak, the highest point in the park. The best view on the hike came after a sweeping lefthand turn.  While the summit-view is excellent, if you're feeling tired this intermediate view is almost as good.  Upon descending, I had exhausted Kat's goodwill, and so we didn't get after any climbing (carrying the rope and rack was good training weight, though). We did head up the backside of Tiburcio's X for sunset, though, which I highly recommend.


So many rocks to climb. From the lookout on the way to N Chalone Peak.

No comments:

Post a Comment